Yes even though I’m just 4 days old working mom they ask me when there is no need for me to work,monetarily,why I chose to leave my 1.25 year young daughter behind to “slog” ?
Is it all about money only,I ask? What about my freedom of choice? What about my individuality? What about the education that I’ve invested my time and energy in?
Ironically,it’s not only the interviewers that ask a “new” mother astonishingly about her choice to get back to work force but the ‘other’ people in life also poke their noses in the same fashion!
Few questions to these self-professed-intelligent-decision-makers of the society:
- Just how long a mother should not get back to workforce?
- Who is a “new” mother? Please define in terms of either the age of the child or the number of years of break from work by the woman.
- What is a mother supposed to do with her degrees earned?
- Does working mean only earning money,nothing beyond?
- Who are you to judge if I’m doing right or wrong? *showing middle finger*
I never had to ask for the money from Husby all this while that I was at home. I neither had to give him the hisab-kitab of the pennies spent in eating brownies and buying gifts for friends and shopping for earrings and neck pieces and watching movies! And I know he will never stop providing food,clothing and shelter to me whatsoever!
But does that mean I should not earn? If I really have to state why I went back to the workforce,this is why:
- Having my own money gives me a sense of control over life. Tomorrow never calls out and dawns upon anyone. Anything is possible to happen in anyone’s life. Life isn’t a fairy tale ,not even for a single earthling. So why not be prepared for the future? Why not be independent?
- Earning means contribution to the home and family. If I too can bring in some amount to the table,what’s wrong in that? It will only better our lives and our future. And wanting a better life is not insane,IMO!
- Working not only fetches one money but also brings in a sea change in the person, enhances her skills and keeps her connected to the inner self. Who doesn’t need all this,tell me!!!
I don’t know ya, time and again it comes around to the same points in a mothers’ life-leaving children behind, managing work life balance, sacrificing her own self for the children and family…..and everytime it comes to me, I get mad!!!!!!!!
I think people need to stop judging and poking their dirty noses in personal matters or I need to simply ignore….and right now I don’t see either of the above happening 😦